Sunday, April 15, 2007

The sun was shining on the sea...

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"to talk of many things.
Of shoes and ships and sealing wax,
of cabbages and kings
And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings."
~Lewis Carroll

This is pretty much how I feel in the time that leads up to finals. I'll distract myself in any way possible from the upcoming terror and the realization that I've basically done NOTHING during the quarter. These distractions take a variety of forms, making Jon wonder if I'm maybe a bit bipolar. I tell him that I don't have the energy to be bipolar. My distractions for the week:

"Cold Comfort Farm" by Stella Gibbons.

This is one of my favorite books. When I'm feeling especially sour on life, I read this or "Jane Eyre", which IS my favorite book. "Jane Eyre" isn't very comical, of course, whereas "Cold Comfort Farm" is a comic satire of all those novels that describe the gloomy and tragic romances English people apparently have all the time on country farms. You know, downers like "Tess of the d'Urbervilles". Anyway, Flora walks into one of these gloomy and tragic farms that all those novels have and decides to clean things up. It's probably not a book for guys, unless you're a big fan of Victorian novels. If you are, kudos to you.

Proving that I might be bipolar after all, my other distraction will be Year Zero, the Nine Inch Nails CD coming out on Tuesday. I've only heard one track from it - "Survivalism" - which didn't actually excite me all that much. With Teeth is looking to be the better album of the two recent NIN albums. But Trent Reznor is near and dear to my heart and I'm going to buy Year Zero anyway. I usually find the songs that weren't released as singles are better anyway. The only reason I didn't go to their last concert was because it was on my wedding day. And I still considered going. In my wedding dress. Those would have been awesome pictures. *sigh*

I'm now done foisting my distractions upon you. Back to outlining.

3 comments:

Jeremy Masten said...

Very interesting: Jane Eyre and Nine Inch Nails. I don't think I've ever heard anybody put both of those in the same paragraph. At least it's not Wuthering Heights. Then I'd have put you on the stay-away-from list.

Anonymous said...

That's funny - I read all the way through both Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass on Friday, and since them two people who had no idea I was doing so have referenced it to me.

I feel your bipolar-ness. I have, for instance, done things such as read Phantom of the Opera while listening to Three Days Grace, or some Louisa May Alcott to Linkin Park. I prefer to think of that as showing our dexerity rather than being an indicator of mental illness...although I suppose it coudl be either.

Anonymous said...

Somerset Maughm's The Razors Edge or Of Human Bondage. These are what I consider the equivalent of Victorian dude lit. Never got into Jane Eyre.