Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Smack down

She was found guilty.

"So why is the title of this post 'Smack down', Yee?"

Because the jury took 2 1/2 hours to decide she wasn't guilty. Apparently after the rather disastrous warm-up, she did quite well during the testimony and closing. It helped that the cop was apparently quite the jerk and made the defendant's conduct not so bad. Good for her.

But the REAL smack down was given by the judge. During sentencing, the ADA recommended 60 days in jail, 90 on probation, an $800 fine and a letter of apology to the officer. The charge was (I don't think I said this in my last post) interference with a public servant. Basically she got in the cop's face. So you can imagine the look we all gave to the ADA when he recommended this sentence. The defendant simply asked for a higher fine and less jail time. It was the only time she looked like she was going to cry.

The judge looked at the defendant, looked at the ADA and laid out her sentence. Time already served (2 days in jail) and a $1 fine plus court costs.

I would have laughed my ass off if I hadn't been so shocked. And I think the ADA would have fallen over if he hadn't frozen stiff. The public defender assisting the defendant was the only one that let out a big grin.

1 comment:

v said...

I so want to be a judge