Saturday, June 2, 2007

I'm Not As Eloquent As AlicoDreams

About 7 1/2 years ago, I was in 10th grade and had Ms. Newbold for English. She was a pretty bad teacher with the wardrobe of a 15 year old. So we ignored her and did what we wanted to do during her class. (This repeated in 11th grade with Mrs. Green, who was a better teacher but not a strong enough force against 35 teenagers in the last class period of the day. I'm surprised I know what a book is.) Anyway, I had this class with some friends including a girl named Vicki. She introduced me to the guy who sat behind her, a towering Asian guy who I'd never heard speak before.

My immediate thought was, "He's kind of scary." My second thought was, "This guy must be the best poker player in the world. He's inscrutable."

Subsequent meetings went better. We started dating in 12th grade. Our friends took bets on how long we'd last. None of them won.

Years later, Jon is still a towering Asian who is very quiet and not easily angered or amused. He is still a good poker player and can even bluff me on rare occasions. But usually he doesn't. Here's to my husband of 1 year (minus a day), who still lets me win.

5 comments:

ALV said...

How cute is this. Congrats, Yees! :D

v said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
v said...

So sweet--Happy Anniversary you guys!

Jeremy Masten said...

Wait--this story is so full of holes. Why did she introduce you two? Why did you start dating in 12th grade? If he knew you for so long when you got engaged, why did he buy you a samich with guacamole?

Yee said...

:) To answer your questions:

1. She introduced us because I had come to ask her something and he was standing there looking imposing. To break the slightly awkward moment, I was introduced properly.

2. We started dating because he became my friend, had a crush on me, told me he had a crush on me, got rejected by me and then I realized I had been an idiot. Luckily, he was the forgiving sort.

3. He just ordered another kind of turkey sandwich when they didn't have the bread for the kind I usually got. He didn't notice that it had guacamole.