Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Hi, I'm the Freak That Wants YOUR Dog Safe

I've had an emotional roller-coaster of a day. It began with me running into Tax at 8:01 this morning, 8 minutes after I woke up and while thinking, "Good Lord, this must be how Britney Spears feels EVERY DAY. Unwashed, unkempt and still with product in her hair from yesterday. Also, everyone staring at you."

Then came my brief explosion of irritation at the end of T&E, which had little to do with T&E and everything to do with insane and annoying people.* Have you ever noticed how insane and annoying people come in pairs though?

Let me back up to say that yesterday before class, I come out of my apartment and find a tiny little dachshund sniffing around my door. Charlie goes ballistic and wants to play with the little girl who is 1/3 of his weight. I decide to take her to the office, as there is NO tag and NO ONE calling for her, although I'm sure I've seen her around. The girl in the office says that she knows who the puppy belongs to. Cue the momentary sadness that I don't get to keep the sweet little girl, but also the happiness that I helped find someone's lost pet.

Back to today and when I step out to take Charlie to do "his puppy thing", as my mother calls it. The little dachshund is back! And she's found my upstairs neighbor, who I quickly barrage with the tale of yesterday. She points me to the apartment where she thinks she's seen the dog. I take the dachshund (who is now sniffing around the fence which does no good job of keeping her from the busy road) to the apartment. Some gormless little undergrad looks at the dog, looks at me like I'm a crazy person myself and then "remembers" it's his roomie's dog. Said roomie comes down the path moments later on crutches.

"Oh thanks," she says.

"I've found her sniffing around my apartment twice in two days," I answer.

"Yeah. Did you let her out?" she asks the gormless undergrad.

"No. I dunno."

She turns to me. "Yeah, I can't take her out on a leash because I'm on crutches."

"Right," I say. "Well, I was just worried. I mean, she was wandering alone, way over there."

"Oh, well. Okay, thanks." She takes the puppy and shuffles back inside, both her and the gormless undergrad giving me suspicious glances over the shoulder.

I don't know. Maybe I AM a freak for wanting the dachshund to live another day. But when I care about your dog more than you do, I can't help but be the freak. Even now, I'm looking outside the window every 5 seconds to see if the dachshund has returned. And yes, I WILL come back to your place and knock on the door, despite the crazy looks, if she does return. Maybe you'll get it after awhile. I'm not PETA. I'm not going to smear red paint on your fur coat. But at the risk of sounding like a mother, you got the dog and now it's your responsibility! Please, PLEASE, take it seriously. My heart just can't take it if you don't.

*Note that it's no one at BLS. Or anyone affiliated. Or anyone remotely familiar with BLS. Or, just to be clear, anyone at law firms that might be interviewing at BLS.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time, steal the doggy and give it to me.

- You know who this is. (dogstealer.)

(PS - you taught me a new word today! Hee, gormless.)

v said...

I like the word gormless. Very British.

Jeremy Masten said...

I'm with dogstealer. But I say keep it. Two reasons: (1) People who care less about their dogs than total strangers don't deserve to keep their dogs. (2) Two dogs are better than one. Our first dog became much better behaved after she had some competition for our affection.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!