Saturday, October 27, 2007

I See Much Grumbling In Your Future

ABC News is reporting that Stephen Colbert's faux-campaign to run for president might be illegal. The FEC is carefully watching Colbert's movements because of corporate sponsorship, especially because Comedy Central has "given a talk show to a favored candidate".

Um, what? I'm pretty sure Comedy Central gave a talk show to a popular sidekick from The Daily Show. Then, 2 years later, Colbert started a joke campaign. I must start working for Comedy Central - I definitely want the free and accurate tea leaf readings they must be giving out.

The former counsel for the FEC warns that Colbert's presence might significantly affect the election. And you know what I say to that? GOOD.

Oh my goodness, is anyone else sick to death of the 2008 elections? Was anyone else sick of them a freaking year ago when the candidates started lining up??? And they're all just cardboard cut-outs of each other, but they're trying desperately to prove that they aren't. Then they just end up looking like kids in a schoolyard, fighting about who has the better Tonka truck - when they're BOTH freaking Tonka trucks!

I would do a little dance if someone like Colbert stepped up to the plate. I think you might actually get some answers out of him that weren't pandering to the largest demographic possible. For me, it's gotten to be less about what is coming out of your politicking mouth and more about the honesty behind it. Because why bother voting for someone if they're going to turn around and do something completely different than what they promised when they get into office? I'll still grumble when you do things I don't like, but at least I can't grumble and feel cheated at the same time if you told the truth in the first place.

So if Colbert's faux-campaign is making a mockery of a process that basically feeds the American public the gristle off the underside of a barbeque grill and tells them it's prime rib, then fabulous. I think this joke of a election system needs a little jolt of honesty. I hope those plastered-on smiles of the candidates waver a bit as they realize a comedian with a late-night cable show has a more rabid following than they do. Maybe then they'll turn into real boys and girls!

1 comment:

Fille de la Cour said...

*standing and applauding* Don't get me wrong, I still take my rights and responsibilities as a citizen seriously, but this round of elections is even more disheartening than the last. I'm still waiting for the surprise candidate who will manage to unite the public with his sincerity and wisdom. If I have to settle for wit and intelligence, that'll do too. I'm almost ready to turn to Lewis Black's suggestion of a deceased former head of state.