Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ironically Iconically

Okay, why did all the photographers wake up one day and decide that there were no more original ideas in the whole wide universe?

First, Lindsay Lohan decides to strip down in a random, thinly-veiled attention-whoring photo shoot, copying the iconic Marilyn Monroe images from 40+ years ago. To illustrate how much Marilyn Monroe means to Lindsay, her mother said, "For Christmas, my girlfriends even gave her a Marilyn cookie jar. I think there's a sadness that Lindsay feels for Marilyn." Lindsay has repeated this second sentiment with vague references to Heath Ledger. I weep from your sincerity, ladies.

(Side note - the first time I saw this, I didn't even recognize her. I'm still not sure if this is a good or bad thing.)

Second, Jessica Alba is photographed in a number of movie scenes including Psycho, Rosemary's Baby, The Birds and... Scream, for some incongruous reason. Cardboard aspires to be as flat and uninspired as she is in these pictures. Apparently, Jessica decided that bad acting shouldn't just destroy her own movies, but other ones as well.

And perhaps that's my problem with this disturbing practice. Remakes are hardly ever as good as the original and they're often downright horrific. But if you simply MUST remake something that has risen to iconic status, be worthy of it. Don't put on a bad wig and talk about the honor it is to recreate something that was perfectly fine the first time around. Because if you have to do that, I can assure you that you are not worthy at all.

No comments: