Thursday, February 7, 2008

Make Me An Oxymoron

I took a short break from studying for Con Law tonight to eat dinner and watch Project Runway, which has become my new favorite show in the absence of writers and good scripted television. While celebrating the departure of one of my least favorite designers and folding some laundry, Make Me A Supermodel came on. I don't watch this show because I really detest any contest where the viewers vote - I think the past season of American Idol proves that this is just not a good idea. The public, as a whole, is not the best bunch when it comes to picking actual talent.

Anyway, it starts off with a recap of last week when the aspiring models apparently stripped down to their skivvies and rolled around in a bed with each other trying to look fierce and sexy. This week's episode went a step farther - nude modeling for an art class. Their reactions to this challenge were something akin to a meteor hurtling towards their very heads. "NAKED? I've never BEEN naked before in front of people! Ahhh! For the love of all that is holy and good, I am freaking out!"

What am I missing here? Has Maxim replaced Degas in respectability? Was I warped by a childhood with an artist mother? Should we be framing lingerie ads with models licking each other on our walls (you know, when we're not 13 year old boys)?

Ah well, I guess I can't define art... but I'll know it when I see it.

No comments: