Monday, February 9, 2009

Westminster Time Again

Usually I have to take a few hours out from studying for finals to see the Westminster Dog Show, but this year, finals were over beforehand. It's nice not feeling guilty for watching one of my few weird annual traditions. And this was definitely not the year to take off from studying, even for a those few hours.

In case you were wondering, the Pedigree commercials are killing me. Charlie is wondering why I keep giving him desperate hugs.

Some of the actual show is difficult for me too, though. Bulldogs - both English and French - and pugs often require C-sections to be born. (These I know, but there are others, I think.) Pugs need to be artificially inseminated - selective breeding has made it nearly impossible for normal mating. I find this not just excessive but downright cruel to take away from an animal's nature. It doesn't even improve the breed - several of these breeds have problems that extend far beyond birth complications, including cherry eye (a third inverted eyelid! sounds fun, eh?) and cleft palettes. EW.

I guess my tradition of watching this show every year is a bit ironic then. I get sad at the commercials and some of the content of the show too. I do love most of it though. Right now, the rough collie (the Lassie dog) is showing. She's beautiful and looks happy. And that makes me feel better.

So does Uno, last year's winner, who made a cameo earlier tonight. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the Rough Collie, "SAX" Ch Sylvan Argent Simply Irresistible. She will soon be the all-time Best In Show winner in breed history.