Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Take My Lawyer, Please

Today in Torts we talked about legal malpractice. It was fun hearing about all the ways we could and could not get sued in the future. And it was fun to hear about Prof Torts own little "I missed my hearing with a judge" story. This is exactly the sort of thing I would do.

In December of '05, I was preparing to graduate from UT. I had only a couple finals and one of them was Ancient Religions of India and Iran. The exam was scheduled for a Wednesday and a review session on the week before that. Unfortunately, there was one of our infamous Texas "wintry mixes" that weekend and school closed down. I go along my merry way, studying for my finals. I show up on the appointed day to find an empty classroom. I freak out. I call Jon. I call a series of friends. All are in class or ignoring me. I finally call my father, give him my info for him to get onto Blackboard, where he finds a notice from my prof that since we were gyped of a review session, we were having a take home final instead. It was due five days prior. I freak out more, only this time there are tears. Let me say that people really stare at you when you're walking across campus in hysterics.

In the end, the prof was understanding and gave me a chance to take the final and turn it in before the following day. In the end, I made an A in the class.

Somehow I don't think a judge would be so understanding. Cue the cold sweat.

No comments: