Wednesday, February 7, 2007

My Favorite? "Astro-nuts"

I'm always fascinated when the public scrutinizes psychological testing. How many times during my undergrad years did I have to defend my choice of a psychology major? Too many to count. The usual charge was, "Psychology is not a science!" Well, not an exact science, no. But it's not astrology either. Psychologists use the scientific method and they use controls and everything else for their experiments that any other scientist would use. So I would argue and I would lose, simply for the sake of being outnumbered.

And then, someone like, say, an astronaut goes nuts and tries to kill her "romantic rival". Then the government starts putting tremendous pressure on psychologists because, after all, shouldn't they have seen this coming??? It's one way or the other, kids. Decide if you want it to be an exact science or not and commit.

So could they have predicted Nowak's breakdown? I don't know. I do know that if they subject these people to psychological testing (and I can't imagine why they wouldn't), it's probably so comprehensive it would make your head spin.

Here's something that my friend sent me awhile back:

A woman, while at the funeral of her own mother, met a guy whom she did not know. She thought this guy was amazing. She believed him to be her dream guy so much, that she fell in love with him right there, but never asked for his number and could not find him. A few days later she killed her sister.

Question: What is her motive for killing her sister?

I'll post the "answer" later. I don't believe that it actually is a true test that psychologists use, but maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's either because she found out her sister was dating "McDreamy" or she thought since because she met "McDreamy" at a funeral, the only way she could meet him again was at another funeral.

ALV said...

Ooh, that second one's good! I'll have to remember that. Um. Not to meet people at funerals, but in case I'm ever asked that question... because it's a clever answer... not for personal use... yeah.