Saturday, November 3, 2007

Exam Week Begins

I always take a little bit to recover from an exam, especially one that lasts 4 hours and that has questions ranging from "Charlie could have taken this for me" to "I want my mommy". I know it's meant to keep us on our toes and it damn sure worked. On the whole though, I didn't leave the exam cursing at anyone, not even myself, so that's a success in my mind.

Still, exam week is tortuous and when you've plunged into it, it's hard to keep yourself going at full steam for that entire time (as evidenced by the fact that I'm writing this post instead of finishing my Negotiable Instruments outline). I find myself thinking about what I plan to do when I'm done, which gives me hope but also threatens to distract me entirely. And there's always the dreaded pit of despair when you just stop caring.

All this is very hard to explain to non-law school people. They often think of law school exams as akin to what they remember from undergrad. I remember undergrad too and except for classes like Neuro-psychology (which was also available to bio majors, which all slept during class as the psych majors like me sweated over which each neurotransmitter did and why and how and what dopamine's favorite color was and why it was in a fight with serotonin over the affections of acetylcholine and was glycine the love child of epinephrine??? Answers next week on "As the Brain Turns"), it was all otherwise as easy as pie.

On the other hand, other law school people should know exactly how horrible this week is, and - this is where I'm going to get preachy - should stay quiet in the freaking hallways and not shout about how you want candy and how you ALWAYS forget your ethernet cord when there is obviously an open door in front of you with 60 people taking an exam! We saw you look at us. Why did you keep talking, girl-who-shall-remain-nameless-BUT-I-KNOW-WHO-YOU-ARE???

That wasn't the intended point of this post, but there it is. See, GWSRNBIKWYA? You didn't just distract me from my exam, you distracted me from my entire point!

... Oh yes. Pace yourself. And stay calm. And remember that it'll all be over soon. *Deep breath*

No comments: