Monday, November 19, 2007

Sleep and Stuffing

Thanksgiving is usually such a trying time for me. Usually, family descends upon Dallas 9 times out of 10, making my mother a nervous wreck while I get increasingly lackadaisical. ("Who cares that the curtain aren't clean, Mom? She's your mother - she knows what a terrible housekeeper you are... Why are you looking at me like that? What do you MEAN I have to vacuum the entire house???") But this year, not even my in-laws will be in town, which is fan-dabby-tabulous in my opinion. Not that I don't love them... I just don't like being around them when there's food involved. It's like I'm being fattened up to go to slaughter. Truly. But I suppose that's what I get for marrying into a restaurant family.

Usually, I'm fretting about shopping for eleventy billion people in the space of 3 weeks (I need to ship things to my far-flung relatives). But as of last year, I decided that the best gift is a gift that goes away and doesn't clutter up the shelves, i.e. food. There are a lot of great catalogs full of stuff that my aunts will call me up to complain about because they were just SO good but SO bad for them. This is a sign of success, my friends.

And usually, I'm gearing up for exams. Except I'm on the quarter system now and this time I'm not even fretting too much about my last round of tests.

All in all, it's going to be a good holiday for me. I hope it is for you too.

Oh, I do know one thing I'm going to get:

A new puppy bed.

1 comment:

Jeremy Masten said...

Go quarter system! I love seeing people at church fretting about the coming exams.

Of course I hate it in October and February . . .