Thursday, July 3, 2008

And I Did Walk 1000 Miles... I Would Not Walk 1000 More

Today was a tad too full of stuff - I'm about to collapse and it's only 11 pm. That or I'm old. Let's say that I'm just worn out for the day though, and not the rest of my life as I know it.

First was a trip to the British Museum. Ironically, my first trip during my stay so far, although it's possibly the closest major attraction to where I'm living AND it's free.

Hey, look! This seems familiar:

I found it amusing that nowhere in the museum did they refer to these (and all the others) as the Elgin Marbles, as if they're pretending they don't have them. English snobbery amuses me when it's not directed at the Scots:

I miss Charlie (but I'm glad he's not this big... or made of stone):

This is a new addition since 2 years ago. I wonder why...:


After the museum, I went to meet a group of the summer students for a "Legal Walking Tour", which would have been far more interesting if it hadn't been raining off and on at the one time I forgot my umbrella. And I'm still not sure I understand how you become a barrister in England, but I do know that it sounds like entirely too much hassle and heartache. I have a new appreciation for the LSAT.

Gray's Inn (one of the Four Inns of Court) has pretty much one famous member - Sir Francis Bacon:

Lincoln's Inn, under the church, where the orphans were left during the 1700s when times weren't going so well:

Where barristers and judges have been getting their robes and wigs for hundreds of years:

The Royal Courts of Justice (the civil courts). You can see the dark clouds that are threatening to pour down on us, which they did just a short time later:

And the famous Temple Church, built by the Knights Templar in the 11th century:


It was at this point that the rain soaked us through and the guide, ironically, gave rather vague directions to the nearest Tube stop before leaving in the other direction - probably to get a cup of tea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.