Thursday, July 31, 2008

So This Is It

I'm going to be packing up my last few items and heading to the airport in a couple hours. I've been informed that I will indeed have to get my luggage and recheck it in Chicago but that they'll have a special line for us cattle that just want to get through the hell that is O'Hare. Oh gee.

So I'm dreading that. But, that is not to say I didn't live up to my promise and do lots of British-y things in my last two days. If you remember, I did promise myself to make it to the top of St. Paul's - the very, very top. 528 steps. And I did, with minimal sweating and labored breathing too. People around me were snorting like rhinos, but after 5 weeks walking around this city, it was almost TOO easy:

(This horrible picture brought to you by another tourist, who doesn't know you're supposed to focus on the person. Not that I MIND being blurry in this instance...)

I also went to Portobello Road because it was pretty and I was told it wasn't THAT dead during the week... but it was. It was the quickest jaunt to Portobello in history.

For my final day though, I had to go to the just-opened-for-2-month Buckingham Palace. It was kind of exactly like Windsor Castle, except newer looking because these State Rooms are actually used. The English really know how to make ceilings, I'll say that for them, but otherwise, it was a bit too much Louis XIV there. I kind of wonder how anyone could live there and not be freaked out constantly by the opulence. I guess you get used to it. They did have a special room where, for the first time, it was set up as if a State Dinner was going on. That was really gorgeous - definitely a party to get invited to, if you can. I was glad I went, but not overly excited by the actual content.

The back of Buckingham (we all know what the front looks like, I'm assuming?):


And then last night, we met Jeff of BLS fame. He's wandering around Europe and decided to wander over to London. Drinks were bought and then - after realizing he had somehow missed it - we took him to see Big Ben, all lit up.... Then they turned it off and we realized we should be going home. As in, home home.

But not before ALV dared me to climb the famous lions in Trafalgar Square. So I did.

Goodbye, London!

No comments: