Thursday, December 14, 2006

More Proof that Undergrads are Morons

As if we needed any more proof! First, I must explain that I live very close to campus with a few other law students and several dozen undergrads. I'm personally surrounded on all sides by them. This isn't usually a problem, except when my downstairs neighbor Lindsay decides to make her presence known. Oh, I don't know her... but I know her name because in September, Jon and I were awoken at 4 am by a screaming match between her and her tool of a boyfriend:

Whiny Boyfriend: Come on, Lindsay! Don't be like that.
Lindsay: SHUT UP! Oh my GOD! My hand!*
WB: Come on, Lindsay! Look, my dogs are running away and I don't even care! Come on, Lindsay! I love you!

And on and on. Meanwhile, me and Jon have given up on sleep and are watching the fight through the blinds. The dogs were watching too, as they frollicked in the grass.

But that was months ago. My other neighbor, with whom we share a wall, I only hear from when I'm in the bathroom, especially in the morning because we have similar schedules. We hear them every time they run their water. Last night, my shower was going crazy, hot one minute and freezing the next. I couldn't figure it out. Our water heater is in our closet. I didn't think we shared it.

Tonight, I realized that these neighbors were running their water every few minutes or so. I also realized that that had been going on since last night. It took me a minute, but I realized their toilet is running. They haven't fixed it for 24 hours or more! I wouldn't care (we don't pay for water here) but it will continue to ruin my showers until fixed!

Here's a notice to all you undergrads out there - daddy isn't around to fix a running toilet for you. Suck it up and fix it yourself - it's not that hard! Even I can do it. Or, if you're really a pansy, call the landlord. IT WON'T FIX ITSELF! You can't just leave for Christmas and hope it gets better. It's a toilet, not a cat with a hairball.

I detest undergrads more and more with each passing day. Tomorrow, as I call the landlord to get them to go over and fix my neighbor's toilet so that I can have a decent shower, I will hate them even more.

* Ed. note - We're still not sure what was wrong with her hand. But boy, did she complain about it.

3 comments:

Jeremy Masten said...

It sounds like you need some Jimmy power. Jimmy (the law school janitor) once kicked some loud and obnoxious undergrads out of our student lounge. Reportedly, he told them to leave, one undergrad said "Let me finish this," and Jimmy stood there until the guy closed his laptop and the worthless horde left.

But if Jimmy can't help, break in and fix the toilet yourself (or have your husband do it). Then, when you get arrested, say you were *temporarily* insane and thought it was your place because the door was "unlocked."

ALV said...

Okay, I am totally moving into your apartment complex.

You've got the drama, the 3 minute commute, w/d, and a semi-personal water heater. But most importantly, you don't pay for water??? My water bill is so freaking expensive. It costs more than my electric bill. For serious. Ugh!

Fille de la Cour said...

Call the landlord, say that you live in apartment (insert your neighbor's apartment number) and have the toilet fixed. Complaining about it is good, but having hot water is better. You might have to lie, but when has that ever stopped an attorney?