Monday, March 26, 2007

Queen and Princess

I adore Queen, so people often send me music by imitators. I knew about The Darkness long before most people, and now Mika is apparently gaining popularity. Both do a pretty fair imitation, but I would never be able to listen to this song as I do with Bohemian Rhapsody. A cliched choice of best Queen song perhaps, but who of the younger set doesn't have a fond memory of seeing Wayne's World and it's version? (I was 8 and I trace my love of Queen to that moment. I was sitting on my best friend's staircase which faced the TV and I remember we rewinded it and played it about 12 times.)

When I was watching this video, however, lots of people got the whole Queen-imitation thing. What many YouTube viewers don't know is this - who is Grace Kelly?

Are you kidding me? I thought it was a fluke, but going back into the comments, I found several people asking who she was. One response said "According to Wikipedia, one of the most popular and beloved Americans of the 20th century, as well as a Princess of Monaco." Really, people??? You had to look it up on Wikipedia? And Princess of Monaco was the best you could do? I know she wasn't in scads of movies, but she was iconic. Rear Window alone would have cemented her into American cinematic history.

I'm disappointed in today's youth. (I'm assuming with the name SkyRats, the most recent questioner is young.) I also feel old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I walked into work today. It smelled like weed and that song was playing. Wayyyy trippy. Oh and the weed smell was actually my boss burning sage to "clear out the store." Anyway.